Chalk Talk: Helping Your Child Get a Job After College
“MainStreet Chalk Talk”
The MainStreet Financial Planning Discussion Club
When: Tuesday 6-20-23 at 3:30pm Eastern; 12:30pm Pacific
Recorded and able to retrieve for one week
How: Zoom Meeting, Free to current clients; $10 for guests
Helping Your Child Get a Job After College
Hosted by: Anna Sergunina, CFP®
Your child is about to graduate from college, but they haven’t figured out the next steps, no real job is on the horizon and possibly they might be moving back home. What should you do? How can you help?
Beth Hendler-Grunt is a recognized thought leader in the college-to-career space. She has extensive experience consulting with start-ups to Fortune 500 firms. She leverages her expertise to help college students succeed when they graduate. Her book “The Next Great Step” helps parents launch their young college graduates into a career.
We are going to discuss practical steps to put in place, and how to approach your children with this topic, to empower them, as they are learning and exploring themselves.
We will cover
- Where to begin?
- What are the signs that parents need to be on the lookout for if their child is struggling with securing their first real job after college?
- Is more education the answer? Grad school for example?
- What should a parent tell their child when they say, “I don’t know what to do with my life!”?
- The current economic environment
- How important are internships? How can a student get one?
- What should a college student do to network? How should they do it? When to start?
- What are the inside secrets to getting hired from the employer’s side? What is a company really looking for?
- Why should job seekers consider a career coach…can’t they just go it alone?